Adoption Updates // Summer 2018
Hello Friends! We are due for another Adoption update!
Things got really busy and went really fast from the end of March 'til now. Within these months we:
- attended an all-day training event at the Bethany office in Hattiesburg
- knocked out all 3 Home Study interviews (1. They come to your house. 2. You go to their office for one on one interviews. 3. They come back to your house)
- shredded about half of our training at a 2 day Conference -- Empowered to Connect --
- completed our service plan
- finalized the Home Study Report
- designed and ordered our profile books
- created our web profile
- hosted a t-shirt fundraiser
That's a lot of stuff! We've been white-knuckling it since March, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
There is a lot of push and pause in the adoption process. Push as in, get what you need to get done as fast as you can. Pause as in, it's out of your hands, you've done all you can do, take a breather. There really is no middle ground, but you know what? I like that. It works well for my personality type.
We are moving out of a season of Push, as you can see above, and into a season of Pause. We are officially on waiting lists and our profile is being shown to birthmothers in person and online. I've never been so excited to wait in my life!
We don't know when or how often our profile is being viewed, but I think it's best that way. There is way too much pressure in the knowing, so now we just wait for the phone call. It could come quickly or it could take a while. There's no way to really know when, but that doesn't mean we don't have work to do!
Here are some things we'll be working on this summer and into the fall:
- Another T-shirt Fundraiser -- we had major success on our T-shirt Fundraiser! I am so grateful for each and every one of you who bought shirts. They should be hitting mailboxes soon! When you receive your shirt(s) post a pic and use the hashtag #lukeandjjadopt so we can make sure to see it! Our Fall t-shirt fundraiser will include long sleeve t-shirts, hoodies, and sweatshirts!! I can't wait!!
- Plan more Fundraisers -- we need to raise about $7K-$8K more dollars now that we are in the waiting for the call period. I've got some ideas, but I am always willing to hear your ideas.... this is a joint effort, LOL!
- Work on the Nursery -- I am ready to put this baby's room together! I walk past the designated room every day and my mind is flooded with hope and excitement. Initially, I planned to wait until the baby is in our care before I really went all out and decorated the nursery, but I've changed my mind. I want to at least have the basics in the room and I want to take my time picking out the right furniture (and the best deals on the furniture!) We've got something beautiful and gender neutral in mind and I'm ready to work on it!
- Invest in our marriage -- Luke and I are in a really special time in our marriage. Adding another person to our family is going to change things forever, so I want to make sure that we cherish this time where it's just the two of us (and Buddy of course!).
- Creating our Summer Bucket List --We've been so focused on our adoption that I haven't even sat down to write one out yet. The time is now! (check out 2017's list here)!
I hope you feel like you're in the loop! I love it when people ask where we are in the process, by the way. It shows me that you're invested and excited for us as we keep chugging along. So, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your support and encouragement. Couldn't do it without my people.